Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sugar Break Results

Yep, I failed at totally avoiding sugar. But not too badly, and I still achieved my goals for the week.

What was my downfall? Well, turkey bacon, ketchup at a restaurant, and the sauce on Friday's pizza was from a can and contained sugar (we did have homemade sauce on Saturday on the spaghetti). I knew these items contained a little sugar but didn't have the time/willpower to dig up replacements. Lest you think I have no will-power, I did turn down several tasty treats over the course of the week such as chocolate chip cookies at the bank.


We ate all-fruit jelly instead of sugared jelly on our bread and yogurt, drank apple cider (or warm milk with vanilla stevia drops once) instead of hot chocolate, and made cinnamon raisin bread in the bread machine to eat with cream cheese or butter instead of store-bought bagels. I baked a batch of banana bread without sugar that was edible but not worth repeating.

Today when my break was officially over I did eat 3 cookies at church (not a binge, because that's my normal amount of cookies), and had ketchup, salad dressing, and apple crisp as parts of my Sunday dinner.

Mini goals and ideas for the future:

  • keep breakfast without sugar 5-6 days a week
  • try making homemade ketchup with less or "better" sugar (or lacto-fermented ketchup)
  • find a homemade french dressing recipe that has less sugar than store-bought
  • find a better banana bread or banana muffin recipe than the one I tried this week
  • can or freeze some of my own spaghetti/pizza sauce with produce from the garden this summer
Let me know if you have any recipe ideas for the things I mentioned!

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Its really hard when sugar is in a lot of unexpected places like Ketchup. Im trying to reduce mine and not drink sugary drinks etc. Although Pizza Night every week has me at it's whims. ;)

Sara said...

Have you tried the lacto-fermented ketchup yet? I'd love to know how it went. I love ketchup, but hate the sugar load, and have been trying to do more fermented foods lately...