Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Snap-on Underwear

And now for a topic that has only been addressed once on my blog before, and perhaps will never be mentioned again: underwear.

Tips for caring for a child in a spica cast abound on the internet, thankfully. A lot of those kids are younger and still in diapers, so I didn't see a lot of specific info on how to dress a child who is potty trained. Hopefully this post will help those who need a visual idea before they go cutting up their child's clothes!
I was given a snap pliers for putting snaps on cloth diapers, but it has come in very handy for modifying clothing to fit over the cast.

To make this snap-on underwear I chose a pair about 2 sizes larger than what my son normally wears. I cut it open along the sides, sewed in side panels (the blue sections) from an old T-shirt, and added snaps to each side. I made the blue pieces extra long and trimmed them to size after trying it on him. So far it has worked fine, although one part of the elastic waist is raveling...I should have sewed it down better.

We tuck a small diaper inside the cast, underneath the underwear, because even potty trained 3-year-olds have those "I have to pee I have to pee I have to pee" moments, and right now he can't run to the potty! We really don't want to get the cast wet. The underwear holds that diaper from moving and makes him seem dressed a little more normally (for him) than using pull-ups or diapers over the cast.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very creative. I cannot wait to say goodbye to diapers with my twins!

Danielle said...

Thanks for sharing! Lily is still a year away from her spica cast. She has dislocated hips and needs a major repair. This has been a great idea to add to the arsenal of managing a spica in addition to a medically complex child.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing! My daughter is 1 week into her second spica cast and will NOT keep her outside diaper on! She hates it. Also, she is SO ready to potty train so this underwear is great! I've thought of experimenting on my own to make some spica cast underwear but this will save me tons of time!! And you're right about there being limited info for toddlers in spica casts. Mine is 2 1/2 years old.