He wanted to help squish the diapers so I generously let him help. So far we have done 2 small loads of diaper laundry with our make-shift setup. It works. Not fun but not disgusting or impossible either.
For the record, the supplies I'm using this week (I already had all this on hand) are:
- Covers (the waterproof part): Thirsties, Flip, and homemade
- Flat diapers (the absorbent part): ~12 Gerber birdseye flats, 4 flannel receiving blankets
- cloth wipes ($ store washcloths)
- Target trashcan and waterproof liner bag to store wet diapers, small waterproof bag to keep in the diaper bag
- bucket and plunger
- Country Save powdered laundry detergent
- clothesline, indoor drying rack
I estimate that to purchase all these supplies new would cost around $150. A lot of things people already have, could make or find, or could do without. For example, my nice retractible clothes line was about $17 but isn't strictly necessary.